Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Army Mom???

WOW, I thought the whole work at home mom and stay at home mom debate could get hairy and cause lots of hurt feelings...  but last night I was on one of the army mom support forums, and talk about a mom of a military son getting attacked.  WOW

I have been saying for the last few months that I was surprised at the lack of online support groups for Moms with children in the military, but now I know why...

OK, I get that an Army Mom could mean 1.  The mother of a child that is in the Army or 2. The wife of a soldier and has children.

I know that I for one was told at MEPS when we went to watch our son  swear in that I was now an army mom (and this was by the USO office), I was given information on a website of army moms (the type that have children in military), I had a lady give me a blue star mom pin, I was referred to as an army mom there... but according to this lady on one site (and the majority of women on that site and others) I shouldnt be calling myself an army mom, I am just the uterus that gave birth to a child who joined the military and the "label" army mom should be reserved for his future wife only.... and any mother with a child in the military that calls herself an Army Mom will most likely be an overbearing mother in law that has issues with lettting her children grow up...    

Seriously, have I done something against military etiquette by calling myself an Army Mom?   I think both definitions of Army Mom should be ok and should be used by both types of women.... Am I wrong?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my! I'm sorry that happened! Of course you are an Army mom. He is your son and he's in the Army, so yes, in my opinion you are an Army mom! My husband is in the Army and I call myself an Army wife. We have children but I wouldn't call myself an Army mom I don't think, because they aren't in the Army. I've never really thought about that distinction, but I can't believe someone would say that to you!
    I hope your son is doing well at Basic. It is hard, for them and the family. But he will get through it and be stronger for it! Just keep encouraging and pushing him :)
    As far as when we received an address (in regards to your other post) I think we got it on my husband's first phone call after he went through reception. He was able to give it to me over the phone, but I know they do things a bit differently now. My friend's husband is going through Basic right now too and I know they have FB page for them and gave the address that way. I hope you get one soon, those letters mean the world to them (and us!)
    Welcome to the Army family! And please thank your son for what he is doing! (Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions or just need support!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am an Army Wife (and mother of 3) and I see nothing wrong with you calling your self an Army Mom. I actually thought that was the right name for moms who had sons in the army. Also I read some of your other posts and you hang in there it will get better! My husband is actually a drill sgt and even though I do get to see him a lot more than you get to see your son its still hard! You won't be able to talk to him much but its ok keep your eye on the prize and it will be worth it in the end :)

    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are most definitely are an Army Mom! I'm a Navy Wife and I consider my MIL a Navy Mom. But you're never going to make everyone happy...someone will always have something negative to say. Just ignore them and move on.

    Welcome to the military blogging community:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an Army MOM! And you can wear that label proudly. Not sure about the people who said you can't, that's just silly and ignorant! I have never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete